Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall for the world’s biggest search engine? With 5 Billion (with a B) searches per day, Google is the best indicator out there of what’s hot. One google product makes it easy to watch Google’s most popular searches in real time.
Whether you work in social media and need to keep up on the latest trends, or you just want a live wall of searches in your office for fun (Why? Because it’s awesome), Google’s hot trends tool makes it easy.
*Since you’ll find this article useful, sign up for our email newsletter, to find even more fascinating articles, tips, tools, and reviews*
With typical google design flare, the search wall looks awesome (if only google analytics were that good looking). The search terms slide in and out of a responsive page that adjusts to the side of your browser. The search terms flip between bright colors to show change, and adjust by the second. There’s no side branding to distract from the search terms. It’s just pure data awesomeness.
They even made the grids adjustable. Here’s how: Grids can be adjusted to display anywhere from the single most popular google search term of the moment, to the 49 most popular at the moment. Go to the grid icon in the top left corner to adjust this.
Is your iPhone home button broken? Your iPhone isn’t a goner. Stop using that frustrating assistive touch square, and use this guide to fix it easily and relatively cheaply.
- Decide whether you’re capable of making a mid-range repair. If not, ifixdirect.com does home button repairs, and will repair it and ship it back to you for $35. Apple probably offers a repair service too, although I believe their own service costs a bit more (unless you have an applecare plan on your phone).
- Buy your home button replacement. Once again, I’d recommend ifixdirect, as they tend to offer products of a higher quality than other vendors on the web, but other vendors are acceptable as well.
- Once you have your button, follow this simple video which provides clear step by step instructions on repair of a home button on an iPhone 4 or 4S. For you iPhone 5 users, a separate video below that will provide the instructions you need.
- If you found this article (and the videos within) useful, give us a facebook like, so that others in need of a fix (for their iPhone) can more easily find their way.
Webmaster, bloggers, and designers often need to work on wordpress design on a test site before sending something over to a live site, but most solutions for getting wordpress installs onto a mac involve complex virtual servers, and manual uploading and setup. There’s an easier way. Here’s how to set up a fully manipulable test install of WordPress on a mac in only five clicks.
Instructions for Installing WordPress On Mountain Lion
- Open up the Mac App Store.
- Search for “BitNamiStackWordpress”.
- Install the free app of the same name, and launch it.
- The app will do all the heavy lifting for you.
- In the app, go to the “manage servers” tab, and click “start all”. This will start up your new virtual server, and may take a minute.
- Go back to the welcome tab.
- Click “Visit Application”.
- Click “Access Bitnami WordPress Stack” on the web page that the last button has taken you to.
- Welcome to your new wordpress site. This is a fully functional wordpress, built for testing on your server. To get advanced with your skills, pick up a copy of wordpress for dummies.
How it Works
The app uses a variety of automated processes to set up a virtual server on your hard drive, and then installs open-source software like WordPress and PHP-MyAdmin for you, giving you full database control, and easy access to wordpress straight from your mac computer.