Apple’s iOS, just a year after hitting the 25 billion download mark, has hit the 50 billion app download mark. Absurd. Android, their main competitor, lags behind by about 2 billion downloads, according to numbers released today. The winners (all 51) haven’t been announced yet, but they’re in for some sweet prizes. It’s always interesting seeing what the winner downloaded.
Business cards are great ways to share contact info, but unless people start including QR codes on their cards (some people are), loading them into contacts apps is a pain. Here’s an app to load business cards in seconds.
- Download Cardmunch (free) from the app store.
- Open Cardmunch, and log into Linkedin (they own the app, so you have to log in – still free).
- Take a picture of your card, using the in-app camera function. Make sure text is crisp, and clear. Submit it.
- Walk away (or close the app). You’re done. In a few minutes, your card will load into your contacts, without you having to enter a single piece of data, and as a bonus, it will load data from their linkedin profile for you too, giving you instant access to more info on them.
- Your welcome, for the time savings.
P.S if you see this. If there’s an app to load business cards into your iPhone, there’s an app for everything.
Just months after Apple hit the 25 billion app mark, that number has nearly doubled. The countdown to 50 billion downloads has begun, and in about 650,000,000 One person, who downloads the 50 billionth app, will walk away with a $10,000 itunes giftcard.
A Twist in prizes:
The prizes for each milestone have changed dramatically. At the original 1 billion app mark, which a good friend of mine actually won, Apple gave away to one winner a $10,000 itunes giftcard, time capsule (wireless router, and media server), and macbook pro.
For the first time ever, Apple is giving out more than one prize. They’re giving away 51 total prizes. The grand prize is the standardly huge $10,000 itunes giftcard. This time though, the 50 people who download apps after the winner will also walk away with $500 a piece in itunes giftcards. This is the first time that Apple has offered a consolation prize in their app download contests, and offers a compelling motivation to try and win.